Thank you, thank you. THANK YOU.
Yes, my recipe for creamy butternut squash soup DID win 3rd place.
At my apartment complex's cook-off.
Where there were only 8 entries.
And I forced my boyfriend to vote for me.
Even though he really wanted to vote for the meatballs.
BUT still...it's delicious.
Before I reveal the recipe, let's talk about butternut squash. Now, you could buy it whole, or you could buy it already peeled and cubed. Please pay close attention to the visual display below:
1. Breaks knives.
2. Evokes tears.
3. Wastes hours of your precious life.
4. More tears.
1. Worth it.
2. Worth It.
3. Worth It.
4. Worth it.
Now that that's all taken care of, here is the recipe:
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tbs butter
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- Salt and pepper
- A pinch of nutmeg
- A pinch of cayenne pepper, or more if you're crazy
- Saute onion in butter until nice and tender.
- Add squash and potato - stir around until coated in butter/onion mixture and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add water, bouillon granules, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Cool slightly, or don't, because you're hungry. In a blender, cover and process soup until smooth.
- Return to pot, stir in evaporated milk, and heat through. Add nutmeg and cayenne pepper until you achieve the desired taste/spiciness.